Thursday, November 30, 2006

i went jogging the other night and saw an elderly couple walking together. They must have been about 70+ years old and they were holding hands, walking/talking together. It melted my heart because they looked so content with life; so peaceful and happy.

in my psychology of women class we started to discuss the semantics of when exactly is "old". Some joked around and said 25, others seriously considered 40. I didn't have a set age but i tried articulating exactly when i will find myself to be "old". This is when I can't do the activities i love to do. By 'can't' i don't mean because im tired or wrinkly, but because of physical impossibilities. If i have arthritis or something to that effect.. better yet if i simply can't ride my bike because of my knees or back, or i can't take long walks because of my ankles or what have you- thats when im old.

Im really not threatened by the age 30. It seems as though its a pivotal moment for some to worry the peak of their fun-life is over. My class is filled with girls who think 30 is far away. I disagree, but i do believe i will need a different lifestyle by that time. Ive never been the clubbing/bar hopping/take-in-drugs-to-escape type but i think by the time im 30 i should have at least one investment (whether it be a house or a CD) and a good job in the psychology field. Highly unlikely ill have my own practice by then because by the time i get out of grad school i'll need to do some sort of internship but, nonetheless, im hoping ill have a different set of values. With that comes a different form of happiness. It won't be based on the clothes i wear (because im weening off that phase now) and hopefully it will be on a more spiritual level of inner-success and control over my future.

On this note i suggest a new book called Money, A Memoir by Liz Perle. I think it came out this year- it's good for women of all ages. It has a vast overview of how women look at money, avoid it, take it for granted, hord it, display it, blow it etc. Personally i'm not good at saving. Currently i blame the college-student-income because frankly it is meek. But at the same time i know i can save much more than i do. This book helped me realize its okay to fuck up. The author didn't have her epiphany about monetary control until she was around 40; her point is it's never too late to learn. It's written very well, and it will probably hook you by the second chapter. By the end, it had me feeling i had people to relate to, nearly invincible and refreshed.

by the way the only juicy story from turkey day is that my aunt-in-law didn't cook the turkey but had it in the oven to keep it warm. no one got out of hand, but there was a very clear cut border of religious cliques in the house (in which my side of the family did not initiate).

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home